- 3 cups diced apples (about 2 medium apples)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup, PLUS 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter substitute (plus extra for greasing)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease an 8x3x8 baking pan with a vegan butter substitute and set aside.
- Combine apples and maple syrup in a medium saucepan, simmering over medium heat for 5–6 minutes and stirring occasionally throughout. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Measure pecans, brown sugar, butter substitute, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt into a medium bowl. Use a fork to begin mashing ingredients together, continuing to do so until mixture is crumbly and evenly combined.
- Using a slotted spoon to remove excess liquid, scoop apple mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle pecan mixture on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until topping begins to turn golden brown. Serve warm.
"Who doesn’t love dessert disguised as a breakfast dish? Mornings are often my favorite occasion for squeezing in a smoothie or veggie-packed omelette, but the holidays are for splurging, right?" — Caroline Shannon-Karasik